Tuesday, February 22, 2011

A bandwagon full of mason jars (and some fireflies)

I feel like I'm coming off the tail-end of a whole slew of serious posts, full of either serious thoughts or srs bizns getting things done -- and we've also had some srs bizns stuff going on in real life in the past 24 hours that has worn me out. This morning is one of those mornings when I look for wedding inspiration on the web, just following where the internet-tide takes me, and that's becoming one of my favorite ways to do wedding-related things without a lot of stress. In fact, it's pretty stress-relieving, when you're just surfing to see what you can find.
I go back and forth between feeling like I'm being extremely unoriginal with my love for mason jars (and not caring) and realizing (probably realistically) that I'm one of the few people I know in real life who pays attention to wedding trends, and most of the folks we know will agree that mason jars are very "us." I went nuts over the Fireflies invitation on Minted because it reminded me of our first summer together, living in Johnny's uncle's house on the mountain. When we'd come home at night, the tree field that stretched out in front of the porch would be filled with fireflies. We moved in right as "firefly season" started, and there was something so magical and exciting about taking that step to move in together, and I feel that embodied in some of my memories of just taking a few moments to watch the fireflies together. I really do love that there's a way to bring those memories to our wedding with visual association -- it makes total sense to me why the whole "mason jars and fireflies" thing has taken off so much. They bring so many happy thoughts to people!
I've been curious to see what other mason jar things are out there since discovering the invites I love and the die cut and stamp sets from Papertrey. One thing I've found that I love: this drink dispenser from Pottery Barn. There's a whole article about mason jar drink dispensers on Intimate Weddings, but this one really caught my eye:


It's $70 and holds 1.5 gallons -- even if I just bought one and had someone refill it during the reception, it still probably wouldn't be worth the chunk of my budget it would take, but I still love looking at it! And the mason jar mugs = awesome because you don't have to grab hold of a sweaty glass. But we're mountain folk. We ain't too good for sweaty glasses. Still... they're cute.
I went over to Etsy, figuring that they'd be all up on the mason jar bandwagon -- and I was right! Along with enough mason jar lanterns to light up Texas, there are some cute finds, like stamps and favor boxes. If I were going to decorate the bathrooms in the church, I might put some of these in there:

By MidwestFinds, but other sellers do these, too

And what about these little beauties? I know brides are supposed to be all glamorous and stuff, but I wonder if it would be too cutesy to wear these for the wedding?
By Tracyleedesigns

But I did find something I love that I can afford and might actually purchase for the wedding if Johnny likes the idea: mason jar Bride and Groom toasting glasses!

By GracefullySouthern
You know what else is on Etsy? Tons of invites that have the same mason jar and fireflies thing going on as the ones I love on Minted. Some of them look kiiiiinda like knock-offs to me, but some of the other designs are neat and go in different directions than the jar + fireflies + brown background look. Also, I did a little price figuring and I'd still be getting the best deal at Minted (plus, their design is the one I like best, more than the similar Etsy creations... and I wouldn't feel like I'm contributing to design ripoff). Have I mentioned that if I go ahead and order the invites today, I can use a 10% off coupon? I feel crazy considering ordering invites this far in advance, and I may get another coupon before then, but I can't help feeling like "I have it! Let's do this! WHOOOO!" 
Also, I'm soooo glad we're not doing seating arrangements (heck, unless someone convinces me otherwise, we're not doing formal RSVPs), but if we were, I'd be in love with these, even though they're ripoff-y:


Aaaaaaaaadorable!

And now I have this song stuck in my brain:


No comments:

Post a Comment